Monday 4 August 2014

What Alice Forgot- A Book Review

Since reading The Husband's Secret, I've been caught up in the hype regarding Lianne Moriarty. I wasn't expecting anything too spectacular from What Alice Forgot - simply because I hadn't heard anything about it. The premise was like something out of a forgettable chick lit novel. Woman falls down and bangs her head in the gym and somehow manages to erase her memory of the last ten years of her life? So far, so predictable.

In some ways, the novel was quite predictable. While I'm a sucker for a good old-fashioned love story, as I? was reading it I could definitely work out the way it was heading, which made it very different from her previous book. That isn't to say I didn't enjoy it, though. The parallel between Alice's young, carefree life in her twenties and the stresses and strains of being in her late thirties was well executed, and there were some great characters that made it a worthwhile read.

A great page-turner that kept me captivated from beginning to end, this is a brilliant love story about the realistic expectations of marriage and how memories shape who we are. Definitely worth a read.