Saturday 8 September 2012

The Lakes

I'm all too aware that there has been somewhat of a hiatus on blogging lately. The last few months have flown by and unfortunately, life has very much got in the way of posting anything. The week before last, however, I was pleased to be able to head to the Lakes with Liam for a while. I have always had a bit of a soft spot for the lake district, even since I was taken there for my twentieth birthday. Staying in a pleasant little hotel with chintzy curtains and delicious breakfasts, we spent that weekend basking in the sunshine and journeying across the lakes on paddle steamers. This time, we decided to stay in a little guest house in Hill top, which was equally as lovely (and had the welcome treat of a bathroom with a view- perfect for relaxing in after a chilly walk through the country!) We had a packed few days- spending time walking around picturesque Grizedale forest, taking a trip on the Haverthwaite steam railway and having a peek at Beatrix Potter's house to name just a few activities.

Prior to arriving at Hilltop, we also had a brief stop in our old university city of Lancaster. Visiting made us realise how much we missed it, although I'm assuming that this is the case for anyone revisiting the place they spent three wonderful years. We ended up in The Borough- one of the first places Liam ever took me, sharing a bottle of wine and reminiscing about student life. The week was fantastic and made me realise how much I missed cobbled streets, cheap drinks and northern vowels.