Thursday 1 January 2015

New Year



The period between Christmas and New Year is one of my favourite times of the year. Away from the stresses of daily life, it serves as a good time to reflect on the past year while making goals for the year ahead. I've never been one for new year's resolutions - there always seems something quite defeatist and impractical about making a promise you know you'll break within the first few weeks of January and I hate putting that much pressure on myself.

Instead, I like to think about achievable goals I'd like to reach during the next few years. A few years ago and fresh out of university, I made a wishlist of things I'd like to have achieved - a place of my own, a step on the career ladder and a car of my own. Fast forward three years and along with some spectacular adventures and wonderful experiences alongside a lot of hard work, I have all of these things.

Having long-term goals reminds me that while I don't need things here and now, a lot of hard work and patience will get me to where I want to be eventually. When you're a child, having a house, job and family seem like the easiest things in the world and it is only when you reach adulthood that you realise these things take a while to build up. While my first few years as a graduate were difficult, I have been fortunate enough to find some fantastic friends, embark on wonderful trips and be part of some brilliant projects. My confidence has soared, my relationships have strengthened and I have learnt a lot.

That isn't to say I haven't got anything left to do. I still want to acquire a driving licence, see more of the world and when I'm feeling brave enough, perhaps embark on my first half marathon. I have a feeling that the next three years of my life will bring a lot of change and plenty more adventures - I can't wait.