Thursday 10 July 2014

The Husband's Secret- A Book Review





I first picked out this book because the lovely people at Amazon kept recommending it to me via Kindle. It sounded intriguing enough, but I waited until it was on offer until I actually went ahead and bought it. This one was a rare example of a book that hooks you from the start. Beautifully written and wonderfully observant, the start of the book introduces the three main female characters - perfectionist Cecelia, anxious Tess and heart-broken Rachel. While it sounds like a bad case of chick lit, it has so much more substance. 

The book begins with Cecelia finding a mysterious letter in the house while her husband is away. She thinks she knows him inside out, so she is surprised to find a dusty envelope in the attic with the words: 'For my wife- to be opened in the event of my death.' When she casually mentions it, her husband's reaction makes it clear that the last thing he wants her to do is to open that envelope - but why? Meanwhile, Tess is still reeling from her husband's affair and Rachel is still haunted by the death of her daughter from years ago. Although starting out as very individual stories, the women's lives intersect as the central story carefully unravels. 

I won't say too much because I don't want to ruin this brilliant story as well as the twists and turns that accompany it. What I will say is that you should be prepared to give up some of your time for this book as it really is something you won't be able to put down.