Monday 26 August 2013

London Zoo


A few weeks ago, I took a Monday off work and we took a trip to London Zoo. The older I get, the more I love attractions like this- anywhere I can walk around with my camera whilst learning new things makes me happy. The location of the zoo itself is something I love, too. In the heart of Camden, it is next to a beautiful canal frequented by dog walkers, joggers and old-fashioned canal boats. Proof that the city of London is much greener than you think. 

We were lucky enough to visit on the hottest day of the year. The weather was glorious and although it was a week day, the attraction was full of children on school outings. Watching the penguins swim around in the sunshine was one of the highlights and they attracted quite a crowd at feeding time. The zoo takes almost a full day to get around. We selected our favourite bits- namely the penguins, tigers, giraffes and monkeys, and spent longer in these sections. The gorillas will always be my favourite- their human-like interaction is wonderful to watch. The butterfly house is somewhere I like to visit, too. There is something quite relaxing about being somewhere that butterflies are fluttering around you.  

After leaving the zoo, we decided to get the tube down to the South Bank and take a Thames Clipper up to London Bridge. The boat ride is surprisingly cheap and gives you a great view of the city. We followed this with a walk across London Bridge before getting the train back to our small town.