Thursday 5 March 2015

Before We Met - A Book Review

I had to admit I had high hopes for Lucie Whitehouse's Before We Met. Hailed as the new 'Gone Girl', (much like every other thriller released in recent years), I was expecting a read jam-packed with twists and turns and characters I couldn't help but be drawn to.

The book starts with the introduction of Hannah, an unemployed and successful young woman who has recently married what seems to be the stereotypical perfect man. Delving back in to their past of how they met and the early stages on their relationship, it is soon realised that her husband is not everything she thought he was, and so the story ensues.

As always, I don't want to say too much as to spoilt the story but what I will say is that this book was entirely predictable. That isn't to say I didn't enjoy it - the characters were well thought-out and it was an easy read for my commute to and from work. Perhaps the comparison to brilliant thrillers such as Gone Girl are what made me expect so much more from this book, but unfortunately I'd guessed how it would end before getting half-way through!

If you're looking for an easy read on a rainy afternoon, definitely give it a go but I wouldn't go rushing out to the book shops for this one.